ncurses - where?

Discuss installation and usage of the packages from macosx.forked.net.

ncurses - where?

Postby AMSR » Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:30 am

I just installed the ncurses package on 10.1.1 and I don't think it got installed. I ran the installer as root, but i ran ettercap and it is not in color. Does anyone know where ncruses is supposed to live? a "find / -name ncurses" reveals nothing.

In addition, anyone know how to add /usr/local/bin to my path? I am using bash and I think it is different than tcsh.

thanks

Aaron
AMSR

Re: ncurses - where?

Postby orange1 » Mon Dec 10, 2001 1:48 pm

ettercap is supposed to be in color? hmmmmm.

anyway, ncurses on my machine is here:
/usr/local/include/ncurses.h
/usr/local/lib/libncurses.a
/usr/local/lib/libncurses.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libncurses.dylib.5
/usr/local/lib/libncurses.dylib.5.2
/usr/local/lib/libncurses_g.a

not sure how to add to the path in bash. i'd say start digging out rc and/or .login files. if there doesn't seem to be any, create one.
--
-willy
Freedom will henceforth be compulsory. -Random Party Manifesto
orange1

Re: ncurses - where?

Postby tunafat » Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:03 pm

In the rc scripts for whatever shell you're running (~/.bash_profile for bash), you can put in a line similar to the following:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

That'll append /usr/local/bin to the existing PATH environment variable set by the system.

As a tip, you may want to try the "locate" command instead of the global find. See locate(1) and locate.updatedb(8) for more help. Basically, locate.updatedb runs as a cron job to do a global search of everything and hashes it to a file. Running locate will look in that cache instead of doing a fresh search through everything each time like find. Of course, if you're looking for something that's been updated since the last updatedb job ran, locate won't find it.
tunafat

Return to Ported Packages