I'm just a BABY....

Everything else.

I'm just a BABY....

Postby dbyg » Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:17 am

I am starting to get my feet wet in the area of the CLI. I know some things and and learning more every day. I am finding that experience is the best way to learn but I am sure that there are some basic things that I could learn/have a refferance to. My question is...

Are there any good books (or sites) on this stuff? I would like something that starts off slow then also has some advanced things as well.

How did the rest of you learn?
dbyg

Re: I'm just a BABY....

Postby samad_lotia » Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:51 am

What exactly do you want to learn? If you want to learn programming, start of with something easy to learn and work with. I first fooled around with REALbasic for about a year or so. That taught me a lot about programming. You don't have to buy any books because they give you all the documentary. Then move on to something a bit more challenging like C. When you really have a strong handle over pointers, dynamic allocation, memory leaks, and all that stuff, you're pretty much a C novice. It takes patience. Sometimes, experience is the only way to figure out something.
samad_lotia

Re: I'm just a BABY....

Postby samad_lotia » Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:53 am

Oh yeah. When you're learning C and you want to write GUI programs and stuff, don't use Carbon. Use something that's easier like GTK (www.gtk.org) or Qt (www.trolltech.com). These are for the Unix windowing system, or the X Window System. Qt has been natively ported to MacOSX. You can download an X Window System server for OSX and use GTK on that. If you're good with GTK or Qt, move on to Carbon.
samad_lotia

Return to General Discussion