macosx disk quota

Everything else.

macosx disk quota

Postby leleka » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:56 pm

Hi everybody,

Please tell me how do I get installed a user disk
quota for mac os X? ( I neither was able to get
a partition mounted with usrquota option nor
found /etc/fstab). What is a macosx alternative?

Links/ideas/advices are highly appreciated.

Regards
leleka

Re: macosx disk quota

Postby orange1 » Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:13 pm

i think you have to use macintosh manage to get disk quotas in os x. to my knowledge, os x makes no use of /etc/fstab
you may be able to add an entry in there for your hdd, use `quotaon` to turn on quotas for that hdd, but..
there's the fstab mystery that may stop you, and i'm not sure if that will even work on an HFS partition, it may only work for UFS.

lots of unknowns, but basically, read about macintosh manager, or experiment with everything you find from `man -k quota`
--
-willy
Freedom will henceforth be compulsory. -Random Party Manifesto
orange1

Postby leleka » Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:06 am

As far as I know the Macitosh manager goes
with Macosx server only. Is that right?

Thanks.
leleka

Postby orange1 » Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:40 pm

that's right. shouldn't really need quotas if you're not running a server, though
if you needed to, though, i imagine you could get the .pkg's and install those [mac manager comes on a seperate cd]
--
-willy
Freedom will henceforth be compulsory. -Random Party Manifesto
orange1

Postby kreynen » Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:59 am

Not to promote my own work, but we wrote OSXDQ after looking at MacManager and realizing it wasn't going to work for our needs.

http://osxdq.sourceforge.net

"OSXDQ is an open source, self service disk quota system for MacOS X Servers written in PHP and Perl. When users go over their quotas, the directory is given read only access. Users can unlock their account through a web interface. Perl scripts run as cron jobs locking and unlocking the accounts."

Someone at MacOSX Labs wrote some documentation for how to use this as a client-side solution.

http://www.macosxlabs.org/documentation/temporary_storage/details/details.html

It doesn't work as well for that because there isn't a centralized database. If there is enough interest, I've thought about writing an XML-RPC interface with the ability to list files in your local user directories on all lab machines... essentially creating a pseudo distributed file system. I know I'd like to make better use of the 5000 Gigs of local storage I have in my labs.

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: Kevin Reynen ]</p>
kreynen

Return to General Discussion