source

Everything else.

source

Postby orange1 » Tue Aug 21, 2001 12:22 pm

is there any particular reason that the sourcecode isn't included with your packages?
i, for one, would really like to configure BitchX before i install it. might as well use someone else's computer if i'm going to use someone else's BitchX config.
--
-willy
Freedom will henceforth be compulsory. -Random Party Manifesto
orange1

Re: source

Postby chrisp » Tue Aug 21, 2001 8:14 pm

Good question. The GPL and LGPL licenses actually require anyone to distribute the source code "from the same place" as any binaries. You'd better hope that the FSF doesn't notice this site. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif"%20border="0[/img]

-chrisp
chrisp

Postby apex » Thu Aug 23, 2001 6:17 am

bitchx.org *cough*
apex

Postby orange1 » Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:47 pm

yeah. problem is, i can't get the source from bitchx.org to compile. tried a few different things, no luck.
--
-willy
Freedom will henceforth be compulsory. -Random Party Manifesto
orange1

Postby ziwdam » Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:24 am

Originally posted by apex:
bitchx.org *cough*

The GPL requires more than that. You need to have a link to the source code, and if you have to change the source in any way you have to offer the source to your users.

If you ported MY software (you didn't, because I don't have any [img]images/icons/tongue.gif"%20border="0[/img] ) I would be very annoyed, to say the least.
ziwdam

Postby apex » Sat Nov 24, 2001 12:11 am

When I ported everything on the website I didn't know I needed to include the source. I had less than a few hundred megs of disk space, usually less than 50 megs. That means as soon as I was done with something I rm -rf'd it to free up space. So im obviously not going to re-port everything on the website, gpl is just going to have to live with it. I will make the source available for all new packages.
apex

Return to General Discussion