XDarwin and window managers..

Everything else.

XDarwin and window managers..

Postby cliff » Sun Sep 02, 2001 4:26 am

Well, XDarwin running with windowmaker was having a few problems (application menu wasnt working very well), so I used pkg remove to remove windowmaker. I guess that wasnt the smartest thing to try since now XDarwin won't start in even the simplest way.
I'm guessing i left some XDarwin config files that still point to some non existent windowmaker files, but then again I'm very new to this so any help would be appreciated.
-lj
cliff

Re: XDarwin and window managers..

Postby cliff » Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:36 am

Here's the console output:

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices
OsVendorFatalError
AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...
-lj
cliff

Postby apex » Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:26 pm

edit your ~/.xinitrc file. Remove references to windowmaker such as:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><HR><pre>exec wmaker</pre>[/quote]

I looked at all the files pkg-remove would delete if I removed windowmaker and none of them are related to anything but windowmaker or used by any other applications.
apex

Postby cliff » Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:03 am

Is there any way lesstif could have changed anything in a negative way? .xinitrc is just:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><HR><pre>
# Window Maker default X session startup script

PATH="$PATH:/bin"

# If you login from xdm, uncomment this to make error messages appear
# in the console window.
#
# tail -f /var/root/.xsession-errors > /dev/console &

</pre>[/quote]

I just found out lesstif left a directory behind, /usr/local/Lesstif, even though i did a pkg remove of it.

Also, I can start x from /usr/x11r6/bin/x -quartz and it just gives me a grey screen.
I remember x used to start and give me xterm (and xclock or something), and once windowmaker was installed, they stopped appearing on startup. Is it possible that there might need to be a link to them or else i have no way of communicating with x?

once again any help is appreciated, and thanks for previous advice.
-lj
cliff

Postby iggle » Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:35 am

reinstall WM and run the wmaker.inst, it automaticly fixed up your .xinitrc. I tried to run x from /usr/X11R6/bin/X -quartz, i got the same thing bc the the xinitrc locations and such.

Add the path to your PATH file in /usr/share/init/tcsh/path (you may need to creat it):

setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin"
setenv MANPATH "${MANPATH}:/usr/X11R6/man"

run 'startx -- -quartz ' from anywhere, makign sure you have the .xinitrc in your home with teh full path to the window manager you want. all should be fine now.

iggy_ <A HREF="http://www.m00f.net" TARGET=_blank>www.m00f.net</A> [img]images/icons/tongue.gif"%20border="0[/img]
iggle

Postby apex » Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:00 am

Originally posted by Cliff Corner:
Is there any way lesstif could have changed anything in a negative way? .xinitrc is just:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><HR><pre>
# Window Maker default X session startup script

PATH="$PATH:/bin"

# If you login from xdm, uncomment this to make error messages appear
# in the console window.
#
# tail -f /var/root/.xsession-errors > /dev/console &

</pre>

I just found out lesstif left a directory behind, /usr/local/Lesstif, even though i did a pkg remove of it.

Also, I can start x from /usr/x11r6/bin/x -quartz and it just gives me a grey screen.
I remember x used to start and give me xterm (and xclock or something), and once windowmaker was installed, they stopped appearing on startup. Is it possible that there might need to be a link to them or else i have no way of communicating with x?

once again any help is appreciated, and thanks for previous advice.[/quote]

Your problem is/was you had NO window manager set to start when X starts -- X by itself wont get you more than a grey screen.
apex

Return to General Discussion