got os x, eager to do something cool with it

Everything else.

got os x, eager to do something cool with it

Postby dglewis » Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:56 am

Hi,

I'm totally new to mac's, but with a sun background and being a lover of all NIX (well maybe not hpux [img]images/icons/smile.gif"%20border="0[/img] ), I got a little refurb g4 733 so I could play with os X. I love the nifty little quicksilver and polished gui, but what I really want to do is get under the hood and create some custom builds.

A quick google sent me here and I really like what I see.

Where would you suggest I start? I haven't found a gcc binary yet - that might be a good place to start huh [img]images/icons/smile.gif"%20border="0[/img] But to get some momentum going I really have to have bash and vi command line editing. These arrow keys in tcsh is really slowing me down (set -o vi doesn't work). Any chance of changing the 'select' behavior back to normal X so I don't have to add the extra steps of copy and paste? I need to get rxvt running at some point too.

I look forward to stopping in here often.

Thanks!
Dan
dglewis

Re: got os x, eager to do something cool with it

Postby apex » Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:20 am

I'd start with a good copy of Developer Tools which'll have gcc and whatnot and the latest dev tools update from apple. bash, vi, and your favorite wm can follow quickly after that. I use enlightenment with rxvt terms and vim in gui mode as my standard editor. Every once in awhile I'll pop into macos [img]images/icons/wink.gif"%20border="0[/img]

Have fun! Post some more specifics and check out macosx.org for some tips and tricks.
apex

Postby azn » Wed Oct 03, 2001 12:56 am

where can i find Developer Tools at?
azn

Postby apex » Wed Oct 03, 2001 4:23 am

It comes with any purchase of OS X, or 10.1. Also try http://connect.apple.com/%20if%20you%20want%20to%20become%20an%20ADC%20member.
apex

Return to General Discussion