Basic Extraction 1: Fixing Tar

Find out how to get that @*&^$&@ thing to compile!

Basic Extraction 1: Fixing Tar

Postby jasont » Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:55 am

Look quickly when you run tar -zxvf as everyone does. Do you ever see something like
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><HR><pre>
tar: Unable to set file uid/gid of <directory>/<directory>/<filename> <No such file or directory>
</pre>[/quote]

This is caused by tar not extracting symbolic links correctly. You may not see this very often, but it can and does occur.

Solution:
Get the latest version of gnu tar with
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><HR><pre>
wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/tar-1.13.tar.gz
tar -zxvf tar-1.13.tar.gz
cd tar-1.13
cp /usr/libexec/config.guess ./
cp /usr/libexec/config.sub ./
./configure
make

</pre>[/quote]

now, you can either choose to make install it or do what I did and just run it from the src directory. I haven't tested the make install, but it should work.
-j

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: jasont ]
jasont

Re: Basic Extraction 1: Fixing Tar

Postby jasont » Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:00 am

If you make install this you will get tar in /usr/local/bin/tar you may want to replace the one you have in /usr/bin with it.
-j
jasont

Re: Basic Extraction 1: Fixing Tar

Postby apex » Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:13 am

Since Jason pointed this out (I always wondered what those errors were about) I've packaged up the latest version of <A HREF="http://macosx.forked.net/ports/tar-1.13.pkg.tgz" TARGET=_blank>tar</A> and added it to the site. It is installed in /usr/bin/ in place of Apple's tar.

Thank you for pointing out the problem and the fix Jason [img]images/icons/smile.gif"%20border="0[/img]
apex

Return to Compile Problems