compiling althea

Find out how to get that @*&^$&@ thing to compile!

compiling althea

Postby mulvihiw » Fri Sep 07, 2001 3:50 pm

Hi all,
I'm one of the developers of althea, an IMAP email client. In porting it to X windows on OS X, I've run into a little jam.
First, here is what I did to get to the point I am:
1. I have developer tools installed.
2. g++ is now c++
3. Installed the following packages from your site: XonX, gtk+, glib, gettext, libdl, libiconv.
4. Made some mods to the code. Bonus points to anyone who knows how to get the current timezone across different UNIXes (tzname works on Linux and others, doesn't on OS X [img]images/icons/frown.gif"%20border="0[/img] )

So now, after make, I get the following:
[localhost:~/althea] mulvihiw% make
c++ -Wall -ftemplate-depth-30 -g -lssl -lcrypto -o althea main.cpp -DPIXDIR=\"/usr/local/share/althea\" support.o callbacks.o new_message_window.o about_window.o main_window.o Message.o Folder.o Server.o Configuration.o Althea.o ABEntry.o Addressbook.o load_config.o SendMail.o tcpUtilities.o imap.o basicNetwork.o SelectFolder.o print_dialog.o helpDialog.o smtp.o save_config.o configwindow.o registerwindow.o register.o crypto.o promptwindow.o progressbar.o tolower.o MIME.o `gtk-config --cflags` -DPACKAGE=\"althea\" -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" `gtk-config --libs`

/usr/bin/ld: warning can't open dynamic library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

/usr/bin/ld: warning can't open dynamic library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

But it does compile. But actually running the programs gives you:
[localhost:~/althea] mulvihiw% ./althea
dyld: ./althea can't open library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
[localhost:~/althea] mulvihiw%

I'm guessing that I don't have all the necessary libraries installed, but which package should give them to me? I would have figured that libXext and libX11 would have been installed by default with X-Windows...

Thanks in advance and if I get this running, perhaps a package of the port of althea will be heading your way. [img]images/icons/smile.gif"%20border="0[/img]
mulvihiw

Re: compiling althea

Postby apex » Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:21 pm

when you install Xfree86 you are able to choose to install some optional packages (if you downloaded them). I'm guessing you need Xlib.tgz and/or Xprog.tgz. See <A HREF="http://xfree86.org/4.1.0/Install.html" TARGET=_blank>http://xfree86.org/4.1.0/Install.html</A>
apex

Return to Compile Problems