Gaim 0.43

Find out how to get that @*&^$&@ thing to compile!

Gaim 0.43

Postby swannman » Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:13 am

First of all, mad props to you guys.. you're doing fantastic work.

Next.. I'm trying to compile the new release of Gaim. All is going well, it detects the platform, and compiles for quite a long time.. however, it then complains about multiple definitions of _dlsym. The last few lines of the compile process:

/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/include -I.. -I/sw/include -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/sw/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing -I/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DLIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/gaim/\" -o gaim -export-dynamic about.o aim.o applet.o away.o browser.o buddy.o buddy_chat.o conversation.o dialogs.o gaimrc.o gtkimhtml.o gtkspell.o gtkticker.o html.o idle.o multi.o perl.o plugins.o prefs.o proxy.o prpl.o server.o sound.o ticker.o util.o getopt.o getopt1.o -L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -lglib -ldl -L/sw/lib -lgdk_pixbuf -L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lm -L/sw/lib -lesd -laudiofile -lm protocols/oscar/liboscar.a protocols/toc/libtoc.a /System/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -lperl -lm -lc -lXss ../intl/libintl.a -liconv
/usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _dlclose
/System/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a(DynaLoader.o) definition of _dlclose in section (__TEXT,__text)
/sw/lib/libdl.dylib(dlopen.o) definition of _dlclose
/usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _dlsym
/System/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a(DynaLoader.o) definition of _dlsym in section (__TEXT,__text)
/sw/lib/libdl.dylib(dlopen.o) definition of _dlsym
make[3]: *** [gaim] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Sorry so long, hope it will help. I appreciate anything you can do to help me out.. I was so sure it was going to work on the first try! [img]images/icons/smile.gif"%20border="0[/img]

Keep up the fantastic work, I check back often.

Best wishes,
Swannman
swannman

Re: Gaim 0.43

Postby apex » Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:36 am

Remove references to DynaLoader in your Makefiles. -lm already covers it, so you have a duplicate.
apex

Postby swannman » Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:24 am

Changed all Makefile's so that the line

PERL_LIBS = PERL_LIBS = /System/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -lperl -lm -lc

now reads

PERL_LIBS = -L/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -lperl -lm -lc

however after making all the plugins, execution stops at the line:

/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/include -I.. -I/sw/include -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/sw/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing -I/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DLIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/gaim/\" -o gaim -export-dynamic about.o aim.o applet.o away.o browser.o buddy.o buddy_chat.o conversation.o dialogs.o gaimrc.o gtkimhtml.o gtkspell.o gtkticker.o html.o idle.o multi.o perl.o plugins.o prefs.o proxy.o prpl.o server.o sound.o ticker.o util.o getopt.o getopt1.o -L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -lglib -ldl -L/sw/lib -lgdk_pixbuf -L/sw/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lm -L/sw/lib -lesd -laudiofile -lm protocols/oscar/liboscar.a protocols/toc/libtoc.a -L/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE -lperl -lm -lc -lXss ../intl/libintl.a -liconv
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_boot_DynaLoader
make[3]: *** [gaim] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

and dies. So, we're getting closer, but it looks as though it's wanting something that was in the part I took out. Any suggestions?

Thanks.. I'm learning (slowly)

-Swannman

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Swannman ]
swannman

Postby apex » Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:01 am

As it turns out, the version on macosx.forked.net IS 0.43. there was some confusion on my part with the versioning used. To compile anyhow, run configure with --disable-perl.
apex

Postby apex » Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:07 am

As it turns out, the version on macosx.forked.net IS 0.43. there was some confusion on my part with the versioning used. To compile anyhow, run configure with --disable-perl.
apex

Return to Compile Problems